Wednesday, November 7, 2007

We went to Cringe

Tonight I pretended I was a single childless gal and went (with my sis) to the crowded and entertaining Cringe night at Freddy's Bar. I've been wanting to go to this ever since I heard about it -- basically people get up and read selections from their teenage journals, with cringe-worthy and hilarious results. Tonight's selections included a staged reading of a Michael Hutchence fan-fic play, a teenager's take on the first Gulf War, and some stunningly bad/wonderful early-adolescent-boy poetry. It was a very, very good show.

So of course I've been going through my own journals, looking for the funny. Most of my journals are from college and are deadly serious and quite depressing, but in Jr. High/High School I was still young enough to somewhat un-self-consciously record my not-yet-tragic problems and thoughts. In particular there's a review/summary of my first Sting concert that actually makes me blush to read it. I brought this tonight in case I felt inspired to volunteer to read, but the other readers were so funny that I got a little intimidated. I'm planning on dragging certain friends with me next time, which may provide some courage.

If you'd like some funny RIGHT NOW, you should read this Letter from Hollywood re: the writer's strike. It's good to know that Hollywood is looking out for us, the viewers.

No comments: