Sunday, November 11, 2007

Can we talk about this catalog cover?


My reaction to this picture: You have GOT to be kidding me. Are they actively trying to reinforce gender stereotypes over at Hasbro? It's bad enough that the boy is doing the active rockin' out while the girl is just sitting there; but did the girl have to be staring so WORSHIPFULLY up at the boy? Because of course he's larger, in the center of the page, and higher up than her. The patriarchy is alive and well, my friends. And of course the girl isn't looking at us, the viewers, since she's just there to accent the "coolness" of the rocker-boy; whereas that Bad! Ass! Rocker! can look us straight in the eye, because he is there to ROCK OUT, and not just to be window dressing. A perfect example of the Men Act and Women Appear phenomenon noted by modern film theorists. And look at their clothes -- he's empowered by his mature dark clothes with spiky-leather accessories, while she's totally infantilized by her soft all-pink ensemble (a color scheme that OF COURSE extends to her toys.) She doesn't even get to wear shoes!

Tallulah's reaction to this picture:
Look! She has a Sing and Dance Pinkie Pie!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Lord, how have I never seen your blog before? HYSTERICAL.

Melanie said...

Ha! Hilarious. Could I hate that photo any more? No. Do I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at that photo shoot? Oh, yes. ("Worshipful, OK? MORE worship, Missy. And clutch that pony, honey. She's all you've got.")

I love your blog. I followed a link over from Alice's blog and am glad I did.

plaincake said...

First you are hysterical-
Second- As a mom of triplets (BBG, 2 1/2)I was so pissed off by that photo and also by the Rose cottage that Hasbro sells that I actually called their customer service and consumer affairs lines and discussed with two separate employees, in a polite and even humorous manner, how this representation was offensive and disturbing- Both Hasbro peeps seemed befuddled by my opinion that this was sexist and an unhealthy model for kids- and then the gentleman in consumer affairs, claimed "I think she's looking at the Christmas tree." Arrgh- at least I voiced it to them.