Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Some snippets.

Tallulah has become aware that she can put in requests for birthday gifts, and shhe has been enjoying asking for anything and everything she sees. And because she is my daughter she enjoys browsing catalogs and exclaiming, "I want THAT for my birthday!" at every turn of a page. I picked up the Playmobil catalog at the local toy store and it's like a map to her dreams.
-----------
Today at the playground there was almost some me-on-children violence. (an aside for future historians: note that we were at the playground today, January 8th, in New York City, because it was pushing 70 degrees. IN JANUARY.) We bumped into these three kids Lula used to go to school with, and they immediately and smilingly started shouting, "You can't play with us! You can't come to my house for a playdate, ever!" We will never play with you!" The kids were boys and Tallulah is not, which I believe was probably a factor; it was like they were ganging up against a girl as a male bonding ritual. Tallulah seemed not to care, but I was inwardly seething. Worst: one of the kids' mothers witnessed the shouting-at and DID AND SAID NOTHING. WTF?

Anyway whenever I witness a child being socially unkind to my child a huge tsunami of unresolved issues re: my own social history, self-esteem, shyness, and parenting skills rears up inside my head, and I seriously should probably go to therapy about it. Or at least buy a few books on the subject. (Surely it's too early for the Queen Bee one? or Ophelia? Really, therapy is probably best.)
-----------
Whilst walking home from school the other day Lula created some imaginary walking companions. "This is my dog, Prairie, and my cat, She-Debbie," she explained. She had me hold She-Debbie's leash while she held Prairie's, occasionally guiding Prairie away from chewing on garbage and the like. All I can say is: She-Debbie! Hah!

No comments: